I’m a buffalo wing lover — I spent a substantial amount of time seeking out the tastiest buffalo wings in my little hamlet of Philadelphia — generally the wings I found sucked, but I also found some awesome wings, and like a good wingman — I’m going to hook you up.
IMHO buffalo wings need four things to be considered great:
- Meat: I hate scrawny wings, a decent chicken wing needs more than a bite of meat on it, and the first bite shouldn’t hit bone, we’re looking for healthy substantial specimens
- Thick hearty sauce: I’m a sauce snob, it should be thick enough that it sticks to the wings, tangy enough to make your lips tingle, but not ‘big heat’, I’m generally not after ‘big heat’ with my wings
- Meat / Sauce Ratio: This may seem odd to some, but I hate when the wings are swimming in sauce, I want just enough sauce to coat the wings, and not coat my hands, maybe if the sauce is really good a small container for additional dippage
- Quantity: It’s hard to eat one wing, it’s even harder to eat just five, I’m generally irritated when an order of wings is less than a dozen
Exceptional wings have one more thing:
- Accoutrements: 9 out of 10 buffalo wings orders comes garnished with celery and blue cheese dressing, which is totally fine — but I really appreciate when my wings are garnished with a bit of creativity.
The Best Buffalo Wings in Philadelphia:
- Eulogy Belgian Tavern: Great wings, a bit hotter than I generally prefer wings, but awesome overall. »
- Moriarty’s Restaurant & Irish Pub: A definite contenders — right amount of heat, thick substantial sauce that perfectly coats good quality wings. »
- The Rib Ranch: Not the best wings, but the sauce is tremendous, they get on this list for the sauce alone. »
- National Mechanics: High-quality wings and even higher quality sauce, what\‘s not to love — I licked my fingers all the way home, this unassuming bar on 3rd street is a hidden gem in a jungle of high-end restaurants that is Olde City . »
- Bugaboo Creek Steak House: Yes it’s a national chain, and the sauce is just good (not great) — but the wings themselves are huge, and well prepared — in a pinch, these hit the spot.
- The Epicurean: technically the Epicureans wings are Jamaican Jerk Wings, but they’re big, meaty specimens of jerky deliciousness. »
- Taranova’s Pizzeria: The owners of this Bensalem based pizza shop are all lovers of heat, their menu has a host of excellent selections above and beyond the usual pizzeria fare — their wing sauce is thick, tangy and deliciously memorable
I’m not done yet
Oh I forgot to mention, I won’t be featuring any place with the word ‘Wing’ in their name, I figure they get enough press in the Yellow Pages.
So that’s the first part of my list, I’m sure I missed YOUR favorite place, but don’t stress, I’m not done yet… but tell me, where is your favorite Wing joint?